Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Screen Cap: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter


All the hullabaloo with vampires this decade has made me allergic to movies, TV shows and books about the blood-suckers. I used to worship Anne Rice and even Buffy. Twilight ruined the enigma of vampires for the rest of us completely. The first exception I'll make is True Blood, the smash TV hit starring Anna Paquin. I didn't care much about the vampire storyline but the steamy sex scenes are worth the risk of being called a "vampire fan" by girls half my age. With True Blood, it was like "ok, so he's king of the suckers and she's the damsel with some-kind-of special ability... and everybody on the cast gets to be naked! Holy cow, this show has good production value!"

I tried to stay away from Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (I'll refer to it as ALVH for this review), for as long as I can but the good reviews from people around won us over. That and nothing else is showing except Magic Mike and Ice Age. I deduced that it has got to be entertaining at least.

Click below for more.


Whoa, was I wrong. I was blown away with the action sequences. Unlike what we just saw with The Amazing Spider-Man, Abraham Lincoln's action scenes were unlike any I've seen before (especially the one with the horse stampede). Graphically stylized, smoothly choreographed and absolutely engaging. It has that Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows feel to it but fused with fantasitic (yes, I just created a word) cinematography that really brought out the movie's potential.

It's cool seeing how close Benjamin Walker resembled the fifty-year-old Honest Abe. It's unfortunate that Abraham's closest friends looked like they haven't aged much during the film's last curtain though when they should be at least in their 50s as well. Especially Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who plays Lincoln's wife Mary Todd. If Ms. Winstead seems familiar, it's because you might've seen her in Scott Pilgrim VS The World as female lead Ramona Flowers. 

Gimme me those blood-suckers, baby!


It's a nice historical fiction movie that juxtaposes actual events with fantasy flare. If our local film producers would take a page from ALVH's book, we'd see a Gabriela Silang: Manananggal Slayer for this year's Metro Manila Film Festival.




No comments:

Post a Comment